My vacation is coming to an end, which is a perfect time to go to the farmer's market and fill the refrigerator with produce and cook for the week. One of my very most favorite salads my father makes quiet often (and is served in almost every Arab family) is Baba Ghanush. This dish, like hummus, has gained popularity in the west--and for good reason! Back home, we like it with extra lemon juice and extra garlic. Sahtain ( double health in Arabic)
- 1 large eggplant
- juice from 2 lemons
- 2 T tahini
- 3-4 cloves of crushed garlic
- 2 T olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Score the skin of the eggplant on each side and place on a cookie sheet covered with foil.
- Roast the eggplant for 40 minutes or until soft.
- Let cool a little, cut open lengthwise, and scoop pulp out of skin with a fork.
- Mix all ingredients with eggplant and mix in a food processer (use pulse and do not over puree-- texture should be slightly chunky/stringy).
- Sprinkle olive oil on top and serve with pita bread.