I don’t own a proper Tajin, but I do have a Dutch oven that is perfect for this dish. This recipe makes a big portion which I can eat from all week long. This serves me well given my current schedule.
Ingredients for marinade:
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ paprika
- 1 ½ cumin
- ½ tsps cayenne pepper
- ½ C chopped cilantro
- Juice from one lemon
- 4 large tilapia fillets cut into bite- size pieces
Directions for marinade:
- Pound the garlic with the salt and spices in a mortar.
- Add the cilantro and lemon juice and stir until the mixture is well-blended.
- Cover the pieces of fish with the marinade and let stand for about an hour.
Ingredients for Tajin:
- 1 large onion, cut into rings
- 4-5 carrots
- 4 large potatoes, cut into thin slices
- 3 14 oz. cans of diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 fresh lemon, cut into thin slices plus lemon zest
- small jar of Kalamata olives
- 1/3 cup olive oil
To make the tagine:
Pour the olive oil into a tagine or Dutch oven, and add onion slices, carrots, potato slices, and the spices. Cook for eight minutes, then add the tomatoes, olives, and lemon slices. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat. Add the marinated fish and cook on low fire until the potatoes and fish are cooked (about one hour). Serve on couscous.