I went to the local Indian restaurant yesterday for dinner and had a delicious eggplant bhaji. It was so delicious, I wanted to have it again today. I started looking up recipes online and with some adjustments, cooked my first eggplant bhaji and it was wonderful. It was less sweet than the one I had yesterday, but delicious nonetheless.
- 1 eggplant
- 1 green pepper
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp sambhar powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 Spanish onion
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 inch chunk of fresh ginger
- Chop the eggplant into cubes and soak in salty water.
- Chop the onion and the green pepper
- Chop the ginger finely
- Heat the oil on high heat and add the mustard seeds and the cumin seeds until they start crackling.
- Add the turmeric and stir.
- Add the ginger and the bay leave.
- Add the onion and the green pepper and cook for 5 minutes
- Drain the eggplant and add to the mix.
- Add the rest of the spices and mix well.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- serve with Raita.